The Summer University is an initiative launched in 2006 by the Board of Higher Education of the Canton of Vaud together with several partner universities. Each year during the summer, students from all partner universities — abroad and in Switzerland — study together during 3 to 4 weeks. They follow a specific academic program organized jointly by swiss and foreign instructors. Each program focuses on a certain academic discipline. In addition, students and professors participate in cultural activities that foster the cultural exchange between the participants. The Summer University programs are held alternatively in Switzerland and abroad.
- Three to four weeks Summer University program
- Mixed class of Swiss and foreign students
- Teaching in English
- Team teaching between Swiss and foreign professors
- Visits of international firms, related to the topics studied
- Cultural activities
- The first year will be held in Switzerland and the second year at the partner university
- We partially participate in the cost of the exchange for all the students
The main objective of the Summer University program is to enable students to acquire the necessary skills to succeed in a global economy. The ultimate goal is to help students:
- Develop a capacity for professional flexibility within an international context
- Create and develop an international network
- Acquire the capacity to communicate in an unfamiliar cultural context
- Develop new leadership skills in order to overcome the barriers of distance from home, culture, time zone and language
- Build long-term relationships with academic partners
Participation is contingent on fulfilling the following criteria:
- Passing and receiving credit for the first year of the Bachelor program
- Achieving a high grade-point average
- Submitting a motivation and added-value analysis of intended studies
- Passing a preliminary English exam subsequent to regular attendance at English classes organized by the schools
- Committment to the rules of the summer university (class attendance, etc.)
- Adaptability, general attitude and participation in campus activities
Each institution awards its own credits. A final project and exam are required for validation of those credits. At HEIG-Vd, the Summer University program replaces an option course in the final year (4 ECTS credits).
- La Broye, Université d’été à Séoul pour Alison Savary. September 12, 2019.
- Actualités HEIG-Vd, 23 septembre 2016, Summer Universities en partenariat avec Seoul National University : une première réussie !, https://heig-vd.ch/accueil/2016/09/23/summer-universities-en-partenariat-avec-seoul-national-university-une-première-réussie!
- 24 Heures Nord Vaudois Broye, 9 août 2011, « L’uni d’été de la HEIG est efficace et populaire ».
- 24 Heures-web, 8 août 2011, « Université d’été aux USA : une « wonderful » experience ».
- 24 Heures Nord Vaudois Broye, 7 août 2009, « Les futurs ingénieurs de la HEIG en visite dans la Silicon Valley », Interview express du Prof. Stephan Robert.
- 2020 Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland
- 2019 Seoul, South Korea
- 2018 Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland
- 2017 Seoul, South Korea
- 2016 Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland
- 2015 San Jose, California
- 2014 Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland
- 2013 San Jose, California, USA
- 2012 Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland
- 2011 Long Beach, California, USA
- 2010 Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland
- 2009 San Jose, California, USA, Web pages at SJSU
Newsletter in French, Blog, Swiss delegation
- 2008 Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland
Web page from SJSU
- 2007 Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland
Web page from SJSU